Thursday 26 January 2012

Extra-curricular

Last night I went for a walk down by the canal while on my way to a friend's house.  I found a couple of interesting locations that I hope to use on some of the next course exercises, however, the real gem was this canal underpass that stretches beneath the motorway, which also has a busy tram line running underneath.  The light was very dark and atmospheric, a bit creepy, it seemed perfect for a long exposure with the tram speeding past.  After spending half an hour getting it set up correctly, waiting for a tram to go past while dodging cyclists going down the path and getting the shots, I packed away.  Then I remembered I had set the camera to a low detail level for some reason and not changed it back - oops! Start again....

'all our transport' - Tamron 10-24mm @ 11mm, 8 secs @ f8, ISO 3200, Auto WB, tripod

I'm quite pleased with how this turned out but there are definitely some other interesting angles to photograph at so I think this spot demands another visit.  There were a few semi-sunken boats and barges further up the canal that looked pretty sad which I'll have to remember about as well.

Looking at this from a compositional sense, I have tried to place certain things in certain places, for instance the angle of the wall meeting the top-right corner of the frame and the edge of the path meeting the bottom-left corner.  Otherwise I have let the leading lines running through the image do most of the work.  The wide-angle view is also accentuating the converging lines which also give the roof this lovely 'fan' shape.  I wish the whole roof was an even brightness, perhaps it could be evened out in photoshop, or maybe next time I will take a flash or a torch with me and give that roof area a bit more light.

No comments:

Post a Comment